Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My last day...

Ahhhhhh...my last day of work...I'm free! Cafe Paradiso invited Amy and myself for a special dinner celebrating my last day of work. All expenses were paid by the restaurant...lucky for us! Woooooooooooooo!

The inside of the restaurant. For those of you who saw the other restaurant post, Une Table Au Sud, the dining rooms are completely different. Cafe Paradiso is very small and quaint but very chic considering it is a Cafe in Cork. (Good alliteration huh)

Snacks: the equivalent of an amuse-bouche. Sesame seed tuile, sambal roasted cashews and marinated olives...dericious...
...complimentary glass of Prosecco, Amy's favorite course...

...small onion tart with goat cheese, very nice way to start the dinner...it's not about size but taste...

...sushi course with tempura vegetables and metal chop sticks. I felt like a robot sent from the future to save Amy MacAlpine from doom...

...delicious rose...

...our wine connoisseur complementing the wine; notes of harmony, sunshine and jubilee...

...haloumi salad with homemade damson chutney; very nice...

...sorta like a deconstructed spanikopita...


...maple glazed king mushrooms and black kale gnocchi...

...spicy tofu, soba noodles and lemongrass sauce...

...this was possibly my favorite course. Also very pretty and seasonal, fava bean and fresh sheeps milk's cheese stuffed artichoke with beet gougere. Really good and very flavorful...lots of food still to come...

...lemon sorbet...

...gooseberry tart with creme anglaise...also my favorite...if anyone knows someone with gooseberries in Canada please let me know...i would love to get my hands on some of those...

...isnt she lovely with the pale moonlight. Quite a striking individual...

...finally the last course; olive oil and chocolate mousse with praline. This was the course that pushed Amy over the edge...

...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

...Me and the kitchen brigade. Not as good looking as the french team in Marseille but just as nice and friendly. The Asian dudes were our token dishwashers and hilarious...I challenged both of them to a judo match, and they denied. In case you don't know I have trained in the deadly arts...my Hands Are Lethal Weapons...Hiyaaaa!

It was a great learning experience and the kind of food I really enjoy. Honest, delicious, flavorful food. Amy got sick that night because of all the food....seriously she was up all night puking while her prince charming was snoring beside her and didn't hear a thing. Isn't she lucky?!?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Marc, if I find gooseberries can you recreate some or all of those dishes,beautiful food pictures can make one very hungry!
    PS You took a lovely picture of my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the two of your should write while you're in Ottawa

    ReplyDelete